1-8. Sookie Stackhouse Series by Charlaine Harris
I was bought this set for christmas or birthday. Really enjoyed the first book, so looking forwards to the rest coming up in the book jar.
9. Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
I picked this up at a book sale after loving the film.
10. Black Sheep by Na’ima B. Robert
I got sent this for review probably a year ago now, but I’ve never got round to reading it. It’s joined the book jar pile now, and will be read one day!
11. Fevre Dream by George R.R. Martin
Also bought at a book sale. And, yes, purely because of Game of Thrones.
12. 1984 by George Orwell
A classic I’ve been intending to read for some time.
13. The Children of Men by PD James
Loved the film, got the book for free at a library clear out. It’s well and truly battered, but will do for a read and pass on.
14. The Green Mile by Stephen King
Pretty much exactly the same as above.
15. The Boy who Fell to Earth by Kathy Lette
Picked this up at a book sale purely because I liked the cover.
16. Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson
I’ve heard a lot of good things about Kate Atkinson, so when I saw this at the book sale, I had to get it.
17. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime by Mark Haddon
The second of the Boyfriend’s book. Notice it is also by Mark Haddon. He only reads books by Mark Haddon. This is our mutual favourite book. I love it – it makes me cry every time I read it. Went to see the stage production recently (before the theatre fell on everyone’s heads) and it was equally fabulous.
18. Private Peaceful by Michael Morpurgo
Another book I tried to persuade the Boyfriend to read. He was doing well until he left it in a hotel room. I bought him another copy, but by the time it arrived, he’d lost interest.
19. The Hobbit by JRR Tolkein
I remember hating The Hobbit when I read it years ago. Not really sure why I’ve kept it…
20. Moonraker by Ian Flemming
I got this in a random book box and kept it in case the Boyfriend (a big James Bond fan) ever wanted to read it. I don’t know why I bother – he won’t…
21. A Dictionary of Sexist Quotations by Simon James
Onto the comedy books we’ve received over the years. I don’t know where this one came from, and I don’t think it’s ever come off the shelf.
22. The Way of F**k It by John Parkin
Given to the Boyfriend, who can be rather high maintenance, by one of his work colleagues.
23. Don’t Arm Wrestle a Pirate by Dave Skinner and Henry Parker
A book we used to have on our coffee table. Unfortunately, for a long time, our coffee table was also our dinner table, therefore having books on it didn’t work out so well.
24. Round Ireland in Low Gear by Eric Newby
A book the Boyfriend borrowed some time ago with a view to a cycling holiday. It never happened.
25. And Another Thing… by Jeremy Clarkson
I bought this for the Boyfriend for his birthday when I still thought I’d be able to persuade him to read.
26. Politically Correct Bedtime Stories by James Finn Garner
I don’t even know where this came from…
27. Do Ants Have Arseholes? by Jon Butler and Bruno Vincent
Another book bought for the Boyfriend. I don’t think he’s even looked at it. Oh well, it was very cheap.
28. Pigs Might Fly! by Derek Woodhead
One of the few books that came from the Boyfriend’s bedroom in his mother’s house.
29. Crazy Court Cases and Ludicrous Laws
Another one that I have no idea where it came from.
30. The Good News Bible
I’m really not sure about this one, either. It’s mine, I think. But I’m not really religious. I think I kept it in case it ever came in handy for a story.
31. This is For You by Rob Ryan
A really beautiful book that I think I bought for the coffee-table-that-wasn’t.
32. Trucking Hell by Gaz Hunter
A book bought for the Boyfriend by a friend. Self published, much like the one next to it bought for me.
33. What an Elf Would Do by the Silver Elves
Thanks Carole Heidi. I think.
34. I Should Never Have Joined the Army by Allistair J Burt
A bizarre little picture book that I can’t even find on Amazon. Also a gift from Carole Heidi. It’s full of fabulous minimalist illustrations of the minor film characters who made bad career choices.